Friday, April 22, 2011

You're never far from Cedar Rapids

Waiting for my wife to use the restroom, my daughter and I stood with our luggage in the atrium of the Schiphol Airport after just arriving in the Netherlands.  A man came up to us with an inquisitive look on his face and I figured he would be asking for directions and I would reply with a quick "I'm not from here."

When I travel I typically wear some sort of Hawkeye paraphrenelia and this day was no different.  The man asked if I was from Iowa.  After answering I asked him where he was from and he said Cedar Rapids.  He has been living here for 15 or so years and is still a big Hawk fan.

***************************************************************

My company has an expat get together each month and we attended for the first time this week.  We found it kind of nice that one of the guys and his family live about 1 block from us here in the Netherlands.  As we spoke further we realized that we only lived about 2 blocks from each other in Cedar Rapids and had never crossed paths before.

No comments:

Post a Comment